Saturday, May 29, 2010

To Taos -- Maybe

I've been scheduled to go to Taos, NM, since March. As a challenge to my "J" or J-ness (for those who don't know what I'm talking about: The Myers-Briggs Personality Type Inventory), my friends who invited me have been on a blissed-out wedding adventure. Blessed with a dominant P (perceiving), and living, as it were, in Wonderland, anything is always possible -- so delightful!

Meanwhile, as Burns would have it, in his conversation with a field mouse, I have laid my best plans, but they predictably gang aft agley. A touch of anxiety stirs around the solar plexus, and I speak to it as if it were a person: "Calm down, it's all relative, and tomorrow will still be here one way or another."

Most recently, the new hubbie injured his hand, requiring therapy of some sort, so they could not haul out to Italy as originally planned. And, the hands are the living and the life of this happy couple. Injury would be disaster. So, travel to Taos was cancelled.

I began to make other plans, like going camping with the fam next week, writing in the mornings; working in the garden; replacing skins on the Airstream. Amazing how one's mind can transport through time, opening up possibilities, moving present to a future that does not exist.

Then, a few days ago, we're back on: the hand is not as bad as it seemed, and a honeymoon may still be do-able. The ticket still stands, so yes, I say, I can still go out to Taos!

The ticket is the only concrete future. Tomorrow is race day at the Indy 500. Traffic will be wild, and my flight is scheduled for 10:30 am, which means going to the track by maybe 8 am, or earlier, so R can get to the church on time. If she had a church in Speedway, she would not have church tomorrow :-) The plane will depart with me or without me. My mind sees both at the same time with equal valence.

Today is the day of decision, or is it?

Yes, my J-ness is challenged by their P-ness, and I wait ...

... and I wait ...

2 comments:

  1. Alas, no Taos now. Poor man has arthritis in his hand, the hand of an artist must be careful. Blessings upon you, and a future honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops -- Lorna corrected me, and with apologies to Robbie: it's Burns, not Wordsworth

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I welcome your comments!