Friday, November 23, 2007

Who Would You Invite...

Heavy sigh.

I am responding to a post on Thanksgiving by my friend, Mamalicious. For starters, the party would be small enough that everyone would fit around one 10- to 12-person round table. Better yet, make it an odd number. I remember what it felt like to be the one among the couples at parties. I was ok by myself, but invariably, someone would comment on the empty chair, with the suggestive wink, you know, "we'll have to work on getting someone in that chair beside you." For sure, there would be child-care, I'll pay, maybe at Mamalicious' house, just down the street.

Then, I would have my partner, Rachel, my friend Mary from Yellow Springs, Victor from Nashville, Mike and Kendall from Dayton, and Rachel's choice of four people. I would bring in Laurel and Cindy from Chicago, because they always have news of the Spirit that brings smiles, reflection, and a challenge to keep thinking.

Mike and Kendall would insure that the conversation would be witty. Mary would be sure there would be good dinner music and a long walk before and after the meal. With all of those people at the table, I don't think there would be a poet, writer, or philosopher whose contributions would add much more to the conversation. Besides, I know all of those people, and I don't get to see them enough. I can meet interesting strangers at Mamalicious's party. :-)

I love the big family parties, seeing the people you don't ever get to see except once or twice a year, and eating food you would not normally prepare at home. But, I have to confess, I get overwhelmed with the bigness and the manyness and the noisiness. I like it up to a certain point, and -- who knows what brings that point into being or when? -- then it is time to go.

I think the combination of not enough sleep the night before, and the third glass of wine, and realizing that I hardly saw a snap of the Packers game finally brought the point early in the evening for me. Back at home, I turned on the Jets/Cowboys game and immediately fell asleep on the sofa with Henry, Zen, and Caty piled around me. That nap was delicious. Later on, the Colts game (yea!) interrupted the nap, but not for long.

Thanksgiving this year was good, sweet people, my new family. We put out a tablecloth and permanent markers, had everyone sign the cloth. One of the parents drew her daughter's handprint, a great idea! The idea is that we will throw the tablecloth onto the table at future gatherings, and as more friends and children are added, the cloth represents all of the memories of all of those present, all of the meals, all the stories, all of the years. It's so sentimental, I'm sure I'll be out looking for a clear cover for it for the next occasion, to keep it from getting too soiled meal after meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. I welcome your comments!